water damage restoration muskogee, water damage repair muskogee, water damage cleanup muskogee

Going Back To School? What if You Have Water Damage?

water damage restoration muskogee, water damage repair muskogee, water damage cleanup muskogeeAs the school year gets going again, new residents are hanging string lights, organizing closets, arranging furniture and debating the merits of the classic bean bag chair. As students also become renters, the lines of responsibility for the property can be blurry. One area that needs immediate attention is any visible signs of unexplained water. 

Some rules may seem random: hours that the pool is open, who can park in each spot, how to receive package deliveries. But water damage in the dwelling can lead to additional damage so you need to make phone calls right away.

If the water damage to your apartment is not based on your negligence, then the property manager or landlord is likely monetarily responsible for fixing any structural damage to the apartment.  Your property manager will be responsible for these repairs, but only if you notify them immediately with written notice of the issue. If you did cause the problem, you’ll have to pay for repairs. But don’t put off taking action. 

Who Is Responsible for Water Damage in Apartments?

If you are a tenant, the first thing you must do when you encounter rental property water damage is to check your lease. Your lease should contain provisions concerning water damage as a result of leaks and flooding. In a majority of states, renters have a right to a habitable home: hot water, durable walls and floors, heating, and a roof that can keep the rain and snow out. If your landlord refuses to provide you with these necessities, you can take action. You, as a tenant, have rights. 

If the water damage to your apartment is not based on your negligence, then the property manager or landlord is likely responsible for fixing any structural damage to the apartment. For instance, if your toilet floods (again, to no fault of your own), and damages the flooring in your bathroom, then the property manager or landlord should replace the tile to keep the unit livable.

However, if your toilet flooded because it was repeatedly clogged, and you did nothing to remedy the situation, such as unclogging it or calling maintenance for assistance, the rules are different. If this is the case, then the overflow was due to your negligence, meaning that you are responsible for the water damage to the property. If the property manager or landlord holds you financially responsible, then you may need to file a liability claim with your renters insurance to see if they will cover the legal costs, as well as filing a claim to replace your damaged belongings. 

Imagine that your upstairs neighbor decides to run a bath one night, but falls asleep and the tub floods. Water then drips down onto your floors, damaging your belongings and soaking the carpet.  Your renters insurance will cover the cost of your belongings, but the damage to the structure of the apartment will have to be settled between your neighbor and your property manager or landlord.  

How To Deal With The Immediate Situation

Once you’ve found water damage, you are responsible for getting the ball rolling to avoid major restoration costs:

  1. Identify the source of the flooding. Turn off the water at the faucet, if possible.
  2. Get your belongings up and out of the way.
  3. Talk to your landlord or property manager. Suggest Courtesy Care as the water damage restore team. 
  4. Assess and document the damage for your insurance and the landlords. 
  5. Notify your neighbors if you have a shared wall.
  6. Contact your insurance company. Courtesy Care can help with that paperwork process.

The process after you’ve determined that there’s water damage in your apartment is to figure out who is responsible for the damage and the repairs. Whether it be the fault of the property manager, your neighbor, or you yourself, the damage has to be fixed one way or another. Courtesy Care is there for you every step of the way.

For Water Restoration Professionals In Muskogee

If your college apartment, guest house, cabin or primary Muskogee home suffers from water damage, Courtesy Care is your partner to investigate the problem and make permanent solutions. They provide assistance for both small projects and large floods– doing everything possible to eliminate the spread and cross contamination of mold in your home. 

These experienced restoration technicians are also background-checked and subject to drug testing to ensure your safety in your home. With onsite technicians and a super office staff working behind the scenes, they can assist you through the complete cleaning and restoration process. For help with your water damaged home in Northeast Oklahoma and Northwest Arkansas, call as soon as you can!

Contact Us Today

Courtesy Care Cleaning & Restoration is the most comprehensive provider for damage restoration.. Call (918) 233-6477 now. We’re available around the clock!