When the air is warmer, especially during the spring and summer seasons, it can hold more moisture. Unfortunately, mold and mildew thrive in high humidity. In a dark, warm, humid environment, just one or two microscopic spores can become a severe infestation. It can grow behind wallpaper, underneath carpeting, inside insulation, in your HVAC system’s duct work, and just about anywhere else. Many common types produce mycotoxins that can cause asthma and allergy symptoms, coughing, nosebleeds, fatigue, eye irritation, and other problems. Here are some signs that humidity is leading to mold in your home.
An Uncomfortable House
People normally cool down when they sweat and the moisture evaporates from their skin. Since humid air already has a high moisture level, sweating doesn’t work as well and lower temperatures feel warmer. If you run your air conditioner often and still feel hot, you could need a dehumidifier to prevent mold and stay more comfortable. A dehumidifier can also help you save money on your utility bills.
You can use an inexpensive portable model on one or two rooms at a time or have a whole-home version installed in your duct work. Even if you decide you don’t need a dehumidifier, you should use a hygrometer to make sure the humidity in your home never gets too high.
A Bad Smell
One of the most common warning signs of mold is a stale, musty smell that won’t go away. Go outside for a few minutes and then enter your home again. If you notice a bad smell and you start to feel worse when you get home, you probably have a problem. An experienced professional can test the air in your home for mold and remove contaminated items if needed. That way, you can keep health problems from becoming worse, make bad smells go away, and make sure you remove all of the mildew and other pollutants in your home. Remember to keep your humidity low to prevent regrowth.
Wet Spots or Dripping
A leaky pipe can cause mildew growth by raising the humidity in the small area under your sink. You could also get a similar problem from:
- A leaky roof
- A broken water heater
- Lots of condensation in your bathroom
- A clogged bathtub or sink
If any part of your home has water damage, have it repaired and tested for high humidity and high mildew levels as soon as possible. Even an over-watered plant could lead to excess growth. If condensation is your problem, add ventilation to reduce moisture in your bathroom and kitchen.
For more information about mold in your home, call Courtesy Care toll-free, anytime at 1-877-382-3900. You can also call our Northwest Arkansas office at 479-273-2700 or contact our Northeast Oklahoma office at 918-333-3993. We can help you test for contamination, keep your family healthy, and keep your home free of mold and mildew.