Top Menu

Mold Removal

Everyone knows that mold should not be permitted to grow and multiply indoors, but they may not understand why. The biggest reason is that airborne mold can cause serious health issues, particularly for those with allergies or compromised immune systems. A second reason is that mold damages what it contacts. If left unchecked, mold can destroy: household furnishings, carpet, wallboard, insulation and wood surfaces.

First let’s learn about what mold is. . .

Molds are fungi. Molds grow throughout the natural and constructed (indoor) environment. Tiny particles of mold are present in outdoor and indoor air. In nature, molds help organic materials decompose, and can be found on plants, in the soil and on organic matter, such as rotting leaves. Molds produce microscopic cells called “spores” which are very tiny and spread easily through the air. Live spores act like seeds, forming new mold growths (colonies) when they find the right conditions.

When is mold dangerous to your family?

According to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), mold spores are not dangerous indoors unless they have an environment in which to thrive — such as wet or damp spots in the carpeting, flooring, or walls of a house or structure. Mold becomes a health concern when the spores produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases toxic substances known as mycotoxins. Inhaling or touching mycotoxins may result in severe allergic reactions to those who are sensitive. Mold exposure symptoms may include: hay fever-type symptoms, sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Allergic reactions, whether immediate or delayed, are the most common, some of those being: irritation of eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs. People who are mold-allergic or even non-allergic people can have allergic reactions. Individuals with allergies to mold who have asthma may be the most susceptible to issues caused by mold. Children, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems may experience more acute allergic reactions to mold exposure.

How mold removal works

Let’s start with what NOT TO DO:

The use of bleach – Just spraying with bleach isn’t always the answer. Although bleach may kill mold, dead mold still is an allergen and some dead molds are potentially toxic to your indoor air quality.

Cleaning the area with a strong household cleaner to remove the mold from your wall, grout, shower, or walls may not be enough to eradicate the problem.

What you SHOULD DO:

First, schedule a consultation with a Courtesy Care technician. Our technicians will provide you with a plan to stop, eradicate and repair the problem. Over time, small mold problems expand into bigger ones, so finding the right solution quickly saves you money. For example, cleaning and drying water-damaged carpets, clothing, bedding, upholstered furniture within 24 to 48 hours of exposure is recommended to avoid mold growth. This is why Courtesy Care is available 24-hours a day to respond to water-damage emergencies.

Our technicians will find and stop all water leaks at their source. Referrals to roof and plumbing repair professionals may be part of this process.

Our technicians will increase air circulation within your home by using specialized equipment to dry walls, floor and carpet. Technicians may suggest moving or relocating furniture away from the remediated area in order to provide for increased air circulation.

As part of the consultation, our technicians may make recommendations to prevent future mold problems. For example, our technicians may recommend the installation of exhaust fans in bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms.

Our technicians may also suggest ventilating attic and crawl spaces, or adding a moisture barrier to cover earth floors in crawl spaces.

For the Environmental Protection Agency’s Mold Removal Standards, visit http://www.ok.gov/health2/documents/MoldFactSheet.pdf

Courtesy Care’s technicians are certified by the Indoor Air Quality Association (IAQA) in Mold Testing and Remediation. We recommend you hire a Courtesy Care Certified Mold Technician to ensure your family’s health and home investment.

Remediation means removal. At Courtesy Care Cleaning and Restoration removal is exactly what we do. Our trained mold remediation technicians can test your home for mold contamination and provide expert consultation, giving you the information you need to restore and maintain a healthy, mold-free home.